These are a set of questions that people have asked, mainly about applying the project management approach to their normal work situation. We have tried to give what we feel are "best practice" answers but cannot pretend that the answers are definitive.
- When should something be called a project?
- What is a Project Manager?
- Do all projects need single project manager?
- Have you any tips for a project manager?
- What should I do if I become project manager of a project that someone else has already started and left?
- What about computer software for project management?
- What is a Project Sponsor?
- Do all projects need a project sponsor?
- Have you any tips for a Project Sponsor?
- What is PRINCE2?
- What is the Gateway Process?
What should I do if I become project manager of a project that someone else has already started and left?
Quite simply re-scope and re-plan the project. If possible, talk to the project sponsor and get their agreement to do this - but in any case do it.
Then talk through your conclusions and Project Scoping Report with the project sponsor and the project team if there is one.