Why are some people more successful than others in leading teams or organisations?
There has been an enormous amount of attention given to this topic over the past fifty years or so, and numerous studies carried out. None of them provide complete answers but all contain some wisdom and ideas which people can use to reflect on their own style of leadership. Many were designed with self-assessments for that precise purpose.
In this section we have summarised some of the key models and findings and included a number of self assessments which others have found useful as an aid to establishing their own leadership strengths and weaknesses.
The menu on the left includes descriptions of the main leadership models and theories about motivation..
- Tannenbaum & Schmidt - Leadership Continuum
- Blake & Mouton - Management Grid
- Likert - Four Systems of Management
- Situational Leadership
- Peter Drucker - Management by Objectives.
- John Adair - task focussed leadership