Professional V Mass Services
Clearly good customer service is vital in any consultancy assignment. However, when thinking about customer service in consultancy, it is vital to distinguish between
- a mass service as provided by a fast food restaurant or a shop.
- a professional service as provided by a solicitor, architect, or doctor.
Most customer service ideas are based on providing a mass service. Although there are elements in common, there are also significant differences, summarised in the table below.
Serving clients is different to serving customers.
Each client is unique with particular needs and all consultants need to invest time and effort in building and maintaining the relationship. In particular:
- in understanding their clients situation,
- in building trust and a relationship with them,
- in ensuring that their client is up-to-date with progress
- in ensuring their client keeps them up-to-date on relevant developments
- in ensuring that their client understands sufficiently the professional or technical options available - even at times coaching or training their client in this.